Least expensive, most robust infrastructure

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 19 16:16:06 UTC 2006

carcarx at hotmail.com wrote:
> We're seeking to build a DNS infrastructure that will
> provide DNS service within a remote location that could be
> out of touch with our central DNS servers for as much as 2 days.
>
> Since DNS caches won't override existing TTLs, this suggests
> having a fully zone populated slave server at the remote site.
>
> Does anyone have alternate suggestions?

No, I don't really have an alternate suggestion. "Stealth" slaving (i.e.
where the slave is not published in the NS records of the zone) works
fine, and we use it extensively. As long as you run a relatively-modern
version of BIND that supports IXFR, the replication bandwidth isn't even
that high.

I assume, of course, that you're only talking about slaving your own
internal zones. Trying to slave significant chunks of the Internet DNS
isn't very manageable...