BIND and ZoneAlarm

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Jul 19 21:30:32 UTC 2006

> Stefan Puiu wrote:
> > Hi,

> >>Theoretically speaking YES, practically NO.
> >

> > If what you're saying is true, I guess we can infer that ZA is not a
> > reasonable "personal firewall"? :)
>
> It is not ZA but personal firewall in general what is not reasonable.
>
> A firewall is not a peace of hardware but a concept. The "real" firewall
> emerges somewhere in the link between boxes.
>
> A personal firewall is a lack of concept. It is broken by definition.
>
> A "real" firewall isolates boxes. By capturing one box you still dont
> have access to the other box.
>
> You dont need to break a personal firewall because you are already the
> box.

	Peter, you make not like on machine firewalls but they are
	firewalls.  They are not "broken by definition".  There are
	just somethings that you don't expect them to be able to
	do like reliably stop unexpected outbound traffic.

	This is no different to choosing a stateful or stateless
	firewall.  You choose a firewall to meet your risk
	assesment.  If you are trying to use the firewall to
	block egress traffic reliably then you need a seperate
	box.  However many of us really don't care about egress
	traffic other than to create state to allow the reply
	traffic to return.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC