bind replication between sites

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 22 15:47:37 UTC 2006

In a crufty BIND 8 environment, I observed a similar problem where
slave name servers were not maintaining synchronisation with the
master name server when dynamic DNS updates were enabled.  All
dynamic updates were being performed by an ISC DHCP server or
manually using nsupdate.

That last statement isn't entirely correct.  I do allow Windows
Active Directory domain controllers to update the DomainDNSZones,
ForestDNSZones, _MSDCS, _SITES, _TCP, and _UDP subdomains.

To maintain synchronisation, I found that I needed to have the
"maintain-ixfr-base yes;" global option set on all name servers and
that I needed to have a "server" statement for the master name server
in each of the slave name server configuration files.

Prior to implementing this, the slave servers would only catch up
when the refresh interval expired and, immediately, lose
synchronisation when DHCP removed resource records for expired leases
or created new resource records for a new lease.

Merton Campbell Crockett

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net