"@" entries and "" entries not transferring

Helmut Schneider jumper99 at gmx.de
Tue Jul 25 07:52:28 UTC 2006

Hi,

Barry Margolin (barmar at alum.mit.edu) wrote:
> In article <ea2urn$1jd4$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> "Helmut Schneider" <jumper99 at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> primary master:
>>
>> $ORIGIN .
>> $TTL 86400      ; 1 day
>> mydomain.tld            IN SOA  whatever. admin.whatever. (
>> 2006072506 ; serial
>> 28800      ; refresh (8 hours)
>> 7200       ; retry (2 hours)
>> 604800     ; expire (1 week)
>> 86400      ; minimum (1 day)
>> )
>> NS      whatever.
>> NS      whatever.
>> MX      0 whatever.
>> MX      10 whatever.
>>
>> $ORIGIN mydomain.tld.
>>
>> test                    A       192.168.0.100
>> @                        A       192.168.0.100
>> www                     A       192.168.0.100
>>                              A       192.168.0.100
>>
>> After transferring the zone to the secondary "@" and "" is lost:
>
> There is no record for "".  That line is a second A record for "www".
> But since the IP address is the same as the previous line, it's a
> duplicate and ignored when loading the zone on the master.

OK, but I was told that this is what to do if I want to create a record for
my domain. And I do not have a special webserver for www *and* mydomain. :)

>> $ORIGIN .
>> $TTL 86400      ; 1 day
>> mydomain.tld            IN SOA  whatever. admin.whatever. (
>> 2006072506 ; serial
>> 28800      ; refresh (8 hours)
>> 7200       ; retry (2 hours)
>> 604800     ; expire (1 week)
>> 86400      ; minimum (1 day)
>> )
>> NS      whatever.
>> NS      whatever.
>> MX      0 whatever.
>> MX      10 whatever.
>
> Are you sure the A record for @ isn't included in the above batch of
> lines?  I presume @ = mydomain.tld, so BIND would have put that above.

root at mx1:/root# nslookup mydomain.org
Server:         192.168.0.80
Address:        192.168.0.80#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find mydomain.org: No answer

root at mx1:/root# nslookup mydomain.org ns1
Server:         ns1
Address:        192.168.0.90#53

Name:   mydomain.org
Address: 192.168.0.100

root at mx1:/root#

> I suspect you left it out when doing all the editing to hide your domain.

Nope! What should I do now, report a bug?

Thanks, Helmut

--
Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well