Some questions about Bind

DenisG denis.g1.no.spam at laposte.no.spam.net
Wed Jul 26 15:02:50 UTC 2006

Hi all

My ISP's DNS is VERY slow, so I put bind on my web/NFS server running
Debian Linux (PIII 600 MHz 256 Mo RAM). I configured it as a master for
my domain denisg.net inside the LAN (other machines use it as only DNS),
but kept my registrar's one master for the rest of the world. Only
machines in my LAN know it is master for this domain. Can it cause
problems to do this?

I find that it is too slow, a few seconds to resolv an address that I
already asked a few hours before, is normal?

I don't find infos in log files. For example I'm surfing the web since
this morning but all I find in /var/log/daemon.log is 4 lines like this one:

Jul 26 07:41:26 babylon named[994]: lame server resolving
'124.43.126.86.in-addr.arpa' (in '43.126.86.in-addr.arpa'?):
193.231.236.10#53

and same thing in /var/log/syslog. babylon is the name of the server.

Is there a problem in my config? Thanks for any advice.
Here is my db.denisg.net

8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
$TTL 604800

denisg.net.     IN      SOA     babylon.denisg.net.     root.denisg.net. (
2006072101
604800
86400
2419200
604800
)
                 IN      NS      babylon.denisg.net.
                 IN      A       192.168.0.11
babylon         IN      A       192.168.0.11
...other A entries...
www             IN      CNAME   babylon
...other CNAME entries...
denisg.net.     IN      MX      10      babylon
8<------------------------------------------------------------------------

and my named.conf

8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.options";
zone "." {
         type hint;
         file "/etc/bind/db.root";
};
zone "localhost" {
         type master;
         file "/etc/bind/db.local";
};
zone "127.in-addr.arpa" {
         type master;
         file "/etc/bind/db.127";
};
zone "0.in-addr.arpa" {
         type master;
         file "/etc/bind/db.0";
};
zone "255.in-addr.arpa" {
         type master;
         file "/etc/bind/db.255";
};
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.local"; # this file is empty
zone "denisg.net" {
     type master;
     file "/etc/bind/db.denisg.net";
     forwarders{};