Question About Terminology

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 27 03:27:51 UTC 2006

In your original message you referred to the name resolution process
on the client system as recursive.  It's function is to formulate
queries to send to a name server.  This is an iterative rather than
recursive process.  The name resolution process uses irs.conf,
nsswitch.conf, and resolv.conf to select which name services (WINS,
NFS/NIS, DNS) to use and the order in which the name services should
be used to query for the name.

For each iterative query from the client, the DNS name server will
query its cache for the answer and then, unless artificially
restricted, recursively query other DNS name servers to resolve the
iterative query from the client.  "Forward only;" and "recursion
none;" would be examples of options that artificially restrict normal
operation of the name server.

Obviously, I'm ignoring how the name server populates its cache, i.e.
is it populated by loading a local zone file, transferring a zone
from another name server, or by answering queries from clients.

Merton Campbell Crockett

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net