diff. between 9.3.2 and 9.2.6

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Jul 28 20:31:44 UTC 2006

On Jul 28, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:

>     Since your configuration worked with 9.2.6, the only thing I
> know of
>     that would cause 9.3.2 to fail, given the exact same command line
>     parameters as you used with 9.2.6, is that 9.3 re-implements
> syntax
>     checking. So if you, for example, used an underscore in any of
> your
>     zones, or any other invalid character, BIND 9.2 wouldn't mind, but
>     9.3 would.
>
>     To easily test this, add the following substatement to your
> options
>     statement:
>
>     	check-names master warn;
>
>     Then see if version 9.3.2 will start.
>
> It will be much better to run named-checkzone and named-checkconfig
> and find what the problem is with the zonefile and/or configuration
> file.

My suggestion was intended to isolate the problem to a check-names
issue. If that doesn't solve it, then the re-introduction of check-
names in 9.3 isn't the problem, and he should be looking for
something else.

Also, if there are a lot of zones, your suggestion would lead to a
lot of uses of named-checkzone. Quite tiresome and possibly error-
prone. My suggestion would lead to a complaint in the log file
(assuming messages are being logged somewhere) indicating the zone(s)
and the problem(s). The admin can then determine what to do for each
problem, rather than using a brute-force method to find (or possibly
not find) errors.

named-checkzone is great if you've just modified a single zone. For
this particular case, it would not be my first choice.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice