UDP packet loss

David Nolan vitroth+ at cmu.edu
Thu Jun 8 18:46:50 UTC 2006

--On Thursday, June 08, 2006 16:01:18 +0200 Pavel Urban <urbanp at mlp.cz>
wrote:

> RedHat Linux ES release 4, 2.6.9-34.ELsmp kernel, dual Opteron system
> with 6GB ram, no local zones, just resolver/cache. bind-9.3.2-2_EL4

I'm not sure if its relevant here, but there is a known bug with certain
2.6 kernels and UDP packet processing.  If the machine receives a zero
length UDP packet (presumably an attack) the kernel returns an error to
bind that causes bind to stop processing packets to that address.  I knows
this bug existed in 2.6.14 and is fixed in 2.6.16.

-David Nolan
 Network Software Designer
 Computing Services
 Carnegie Mellon University