Expired Zone "Recovery" Process

Shaheen wael.shaheen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 16:58:43 UTC 2006

colin.kopp at gmail.com wrote:
> Assume a master name server goes away and the slave name server
> eventually expires the zone.
>
> When the master name server comes back up does it send a NOTIFY to
> each of the slaves?
>
>  If yes - what does the slave do given that the zone has
>  expired?  Does it ignore the NOTIFY because it has no
>  knowledge of the zone (effectively the slave has deleted
>  all knowledge it had of the the zone) or does it
>  accept the NOTIFY and action it?
>
>  If no - then presumably one would have to do an reload of
>  the zone or a restart of the slave to pick up its
>  "authoritativeness" (;-)) again.  Is that a fair statement?
>

> I check a number of newsgroups for an answer and looked at an
> older version of the "DNS and Bind" book but couldn't find
> an answer to this.  If there is a reference on this somewhere
> I would appreciate it.

Actually am not sure if this can be done in other ways or it is only
the behavior of BIND,
when the master goes down and the slave expires the zone you will not
get answers from either DNS servers,
to fix this i used to delete all records and recreate them again from
both master and slave servers as soon as i get the master DNS up again.

regards