Expired Zone "Recovery" Process

colin.kopp at gmail.com colin.kopp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 04:40:52 UTC 2006

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <e6pi4n$2tev$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  "Shaheen" <wael.shaheen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually am not sure if this can be done in other ways or it is only
> > the behavior of BIND,
> > when the master goes down and the slave expires the zone you will not
> > get answers from either DNS servers,
> > to fix this i used to delete all records and recreate them again from
> > both master and slave servers as soon as i get the master DNS up again.
>
> I've never had that experience.  When the master came back, the slave
> transferred the zone from it and started responding normally.

So this would seem to imply that when the master is restarted it will
send out a NOTIFY to the slaves and even though the slaves have
expired the zone they will action the NOTIFY.  Is that a fair
statement?

What happens in the case where there was a network connectivity issue
between the master and the slave.  In this instance the master has no
need to send a NOTIFY because it has been up and running and has
not been aware of the loss of connectivity.  I presume that
a manual reload of the zone on the slave would be necessary.
Am I on the right track here?

Many thanks.
./CK