RCODE (REFUSED)

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Mar 1 16:32:47 UTC 2006

"Marcus N. Morgan" <marcus at ufl.edu> writes:

> most probably you are being explored to see if you have any open userids
> that are accessable via ssh.  the refused message is from the attempt by
> the sshd or wrapper program to resolve the ptr record associated with the
> incoming connection.
>
> I suggest that you limit ssh access to those really needing it.  You can
> do this easily with tcpwrappers, ipfilters, or via acl in the adjacent
> router.

Thanks,  I normally use key based authentication for ssh. I have it
open right now for some homeboy research about dictionary attacks on
ssh port.  I'm using very strong passwords for this test.

So, it wasn't really connected in some nefarous way.  I mean beyond
the exploration, the named part was just a normal function.