Reverse zone with subnet larger than Class C

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Mar 1 19:10:04 UTC 2006

> > Hi,
> >
> > I trying to add some more reverse zones in bind 9.3.1.
> >
> > The problem is that I would like to add zones like 192.168.0.0/22,
> > 192.168.4.0/22 and so on.
> >
> > Is that possible with BIND?
> >
> > I've tried several configs:
> >
> > named.conf:
> >
> > zone "0-22.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA" in {
> > 	type master;
> > 	file "rev/192.168.0-22.rev.db";
> > };
> >
> > or
> >
> > zone "0/22.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA" in {
> > 	type master;
> > 	file "rev/192.168.0-22.rev.db";
> > };
> >
> > But none of those worked.
> >
> > My reverse zone file works because if I only add it as Class C it
> > works.
> >
> > Anyone know how to do it if possible?
>
> 	Just delegate the sets of 4 zones.

Using RFC2317-style techniques if you'd prefer a single delegation makes
a certain amount of sense...  which appears to be what OP is trying for.
It should be possible, and it might be clean.  For only four zones,
delegation works fairly well too, but if it was a larger number, the 2317
stuff could be a good fit.  Potentially problematic if there are further
subdelegations though.  :-)

The usual problem with RFC2317 is wrapping your head around the details.

It isn't clear what the OP's setup actually is.  Who is delegating those
zones to you?  You have to make sure that they are implementing the CNAME
stuff to map stuff to you.

Stepping through things, step by step, with dig or whatever is a real
important step in doing 2317 properly.  I occasionally take people down
the 2317-debugging road and invariably the problem is that someone
is staring at the files and not the results.  Remember that DNS gets
messy in the case where you drop a dot or some other unexpected thing
is happening, and using dig or host or whatever you prefer to check
the actual records at each step vs the expected records is very
important.

... JG