Add new subnet on multi-homed hosts

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Mar 6 14:29:58 UTC 2006

Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <due7jv$2sv9$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> db.192.168.1
>> ===========================
>> $TTL 1D
>> @       IN SOA  reader.local.lan. reader.reader.local.lan. (
>>               200405190  ; serial
>>               28800      ; refresh (8 hours)
>>               14400      ; retry (4 hours)
>>               2419200    ; expire (4 weeks)
>>               86400      ; minimum (1 day)
>>               )
>> ;
>> ; Name servers (The name '@' is implied)
>> ;
>>                   IN      NS     reader
>
> That should be "reader.local.lan."
>
>> ;
>> ; Addresses point to canonical names
>> ;
>>
>> 192.168.1.2.      IN      PTR    rdmz.local.lan.
>> 192.168.1.1.      IN      PTR    fwdmz.local.lan.
>
> Didn't you get error messages complaining about names outside the zone
> when you loaded this?  Those should be:

I've been trying lots of different stuff and may have gotten the error
messages for this thread mixed up.  In OP I said there were none but
as you've noted.  That does generate `out of zone' errors.

> 2 IN PTR rdmz.local.lan.
> 1 IN PTR fwdmz.local.lan.

Ok, with changes suggested made:

Restart of named shows nothing of note...
Further the problem I was noting of nslookup not knowing about the two
IP s on 192.168.1/24  has disappeared too.

  reader > nslookup 192.168.1.2
  Server:         127.0.0.1
  Address:        127.0.0.1#53

  2.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa        name = rdmz.local.lan.

Those were small config changes but did what was needed
.. thanks.

I'm still confused about how $ORIGIN works and when it matters.

When db.192.168.1 is loaded.  Its ORIGIN is initially set from
named.conf right?.   So that would be:
   1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

In this line:
                   IN      NS     reader.local.lan.
(with your correction)
reader.local.lan is a different $ORIGIN yet it causes no errors about
out of zone since the notation of (.) dot at the end indicates this is
a canonical address.

In OP I had (prior to your corrections)

192.168.1.2.      IN      PTR    rdmz.local.lan.
192.168.1.1.      IN      PTR    fwdmz.local.lan.

Which is canonical on both ends and in the $ORIGIN, yet it was rejected
as `out of zone'

Something more that just using shortcuts is going on there.