Queries to a positively cached zone are failing (phila.gov)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Mar 15 09:19:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 06:18:15PM -0500,
 Greg Chavez <greg.chavez at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 62 lines which said:

> This tells me that *if* an unknown upstream filter (not likely, at
> least not on my end) is causing mischief, it's filtering at the
> application layer not the network layer.

Examining in detail the queries with ethereal may yield some clues.

>  So the question is, what distinguishes a dig-fashioned query from a
> BIND-fashioned query?

A few wild guesses:

* dig sets "rd" (recursion requested) by default ("dig +norec" to test
it)

* BIND may have been configured with a source address which is not the
default address of the machine (check the query-source option)