Domain name delegation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 17 02:58:15 UTC 2006

Frédéric Basse wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm new on this newsgroup, I need an answer to a difficult question and
>I hope you will be able to help me.
>I run with some friends the website www.c.la which is a basic
>redirection website.
>Our bigger websites would like to keep the domain name but get rid of
>the redirection which is bad for the SEO. Actually they would like to
>use their subdomain (for instance website.c.la) with all the
>functionnalities of a real domain (for instance website.com)
>So I was thinking of delegating the zone files of bigwebsite.c.la to
>the dns servers of a hoster.
>This is common practise for instance when we buy a .com.
>But I was told by an agency that it is not the same thing with c.la
>because it is already a subdomain.
>What is your opinion ?
>I hope I'm clear, thanks a lot for your help.

*Every* zone, other than the root zone, is a subdomain! So, from a
purely technical standpoint, these folks don't know what they're talking
about. There is no technical problem with what you are trying to do --
you'd just need to set up the subzone on the hosting servers and then
add the appropriate delegation records to the c.la zone. The only issues
would be bureaucratic ones. Not being familiar with the .la TLD, I don't
know what rules you agreed to when you registered the c.la domain, but
I'd be surprised if those rules forbid delegation of subdomains. Then,
the only question would be, can you find a hosting company that's
willing and able to host a third-level domain(?) It's possible that for
some DNS hosting companies, that all of their tools, templates, etc. are
set up only for second-level domains. I would tend to avoid such
inflexible/short-sighted hosting companies anyway, just on principle.