Being "Notified", vs. being a true "secondary"

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Mar 22 02:30:01 UTC 2006

Cormack, Ken wrote:

>Group,
>
>We've just been asked to move the "primary" for 2 of our zones, to a new
>server, and relegate our former primary to a secondary.  However, the
>engineer responsible for setting up the new server has defined the old box
>as a "notify", rather than defining it as a true "secondary", within the NS
>re4cords of the zones being moved.
>
>Personally, I'd rather see them as secondaries.  I have a feeling there are
>important distinctions between the two configurations.  What are the
>strengths and weaknesses of each configuration?

A "published" slave will, assuming access is possible, receive queries
of the zone from iterative resolvers that see the published NS record
pointing to it. A "stealth" slave, will not; the only queries it'll get
for the zone are from clients that are specifically configured to use it
as a resolver.