Views, Tsigs and updates on 9.3.2

aklist_bind at enigmedia.com aklist_bind at enigmedia.com
Fri Mar 24 14:23:01 UTC 2006

> Hi Jim!
> On Thursday 23 March 2006 18:26, you wrote:
>> On Mar 23, 2006, at 16:03, Angela Williams wrote:
>> > How can i make a server a
>> > slave for both and internal and external view at the same time
>>
>> Read the FAQ that ships with the software!
>
> Phunny that!! If you had read the email it says that I had read the FAQ
> and
> tried to duplicate the second answer!

Hi Angela: Jim may not have fully understood the question. BIND can slave
off as many primary servers as you want...you specify the primary in
named.conf for each zone that it's a slave for. Is that what you're asking?

IOW, you would need a primary NS serving one view, and another primary
serving the second view, and the secondary would pull data from either one
depending on the zone.

For example:

view "internal" {match-clients {"localsubnet";};
//"localsubnet" is defined as an IP range in options

zone "my-domain.com" in {
    type slave;
    file "my-domain.com";
    masters { [InternalNS.ip.address]; };
};

view "external" {match-clients {any;};
//anywhere else outside the local subnet

zone "my-domain.com" in {
    type slave;
    file "my-domain.com";
    masters { [ExternalNS.ip.address]; };
};

or am I misunderstanding the question as well? Your primary NS for the first
view would only hold data for zones in the first view, and the same for the
second primary.