Zonetransfers

Sebastian E. Castro Avila secastro at nic.cl
Fri Mar 24 21:17:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 02:42:32 -0400, Dirk Laurenz
<dirk.laurenz at fujitsu-siemens.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hello:

> how do i configure Zonetransfers "on change". At the moment
> zonetransfers are done every 45mins and that's to long.
> I'm using bind 9.

I have some suggestions:

1. Enable notify in your primary
	In BIND9, when a primary reloads a zone and the NOTIFY mechanism is
enable, sends a DNS packet to every server listed as NS in that zone
called NOTIFY, telling there is a new zone available at the primary. If
your secondary is enabled to accept those packets, automatically your
server will trigger a zone transfer (if I'm wrong, let me know)

2. Reduce the parameter "refresh" in the SOA RR of your zone
	As a definition in DNS, secondary name server will send a SOA query to
the primary each "refresh" seconds. If the secondary finds a bigger
serial, will trigger a zone transfers.

Regards

Sebastian E. Castro Avila             sebastian at nic.cl
Administrador de DNS, NIC Chile

Agustinas 1357 Piso 4
Santiago, Chile Cod. Postal 6500587
Phone: +56-2-9407705                  Fax  : +56-2-9407701