Forward zone problem: Forward query vs Direct query from the receiving DNS servers perspective.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Mar 26 05:29:08 UTC 2006

In article <e04rk6$2oen$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Stefanick, Andrew" <astefanick at metasolv.com> wrote:

> This looks to be working to the conclusion that the target server is
> providing the wrong answer to my query.

You should be able to confirm that by getting a packet capture of DNS
traffic between your server and the forwarder.

> Here is my last question though?
>
> Is there a difference between a forwarded request to a DNS server vs a
> direct query?

A forwarded request will have the Recursion Desired flag set.  A direct
query from a caching server will not.  A direct query using the dig
command will have the flag set unless you specify the +norecurse option.

> Is there a case where the DNS server will ignore a forwarded request,
> yet answer the direct query?

If the server is authoritative for the zone in question, I don't think
it should matter.  But if it needs to recurse further, the Recursion
Desired flag will be significant.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA