dhclient complains Can't update forward map no such RRset

djbots at gmail.com djbots at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 22:26:01 UTC 2006

Okay I am at a loss here and hope somebody can assist me with
troubleshooting my current configuration issues.  I read through the
man pages for dhcp, bind, dhclient, and relevant config files and I
have not been able to find a cure to my issue.

I have two servers:  the first is a server running dhclient/dhcpd that
is sending ddns updates to a primary name server.

dhclient is complaining:  "Mar 26 13:56:48 protect1 dhclient: Can't
update forward map protect1.domain.com. to 100.100.100.100: no such
RRset"

I do not have a good understanding of what the above error message
means and/or how to cure it.  What on earth am I doing wrong?

--- snip ---

# dhclient -v
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.2-RedHat

--- snip ---

here is my dhclient configuration

---s nip ----

# cat /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf
send host-name "machine.hostname.com.";
send fqdn.fqdn "machine.hostname.com.";
send fqdn.encoded on;
send fqdn.server-update off;

key machine.hostname.com {
    algorithm HMAC-MD5;
    secret "a;dflkja;sldkfja;lkdjq;wlekjr;qlkwejr;lqkwjer;lkqjewr";
}

zone hostname.com {
    primary 216.218.220.22;
    key "machine.hostname.com";
}

interface "eth0" {
    send host-name "machine.hostname.com.";
    send dhcp-client-identifier 00:C0:F0:1F:21:E2;
    send dhcp-lease-time 3600;
    supersede domain-name "host.hostname.com hostname.com";
    prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
    request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
domain-name, domain-\
name-servers, host-name;
    require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
    script "/sbin/dhclient-script";
}

Cheers,

Noah