Does BIND always query the other authorative nameserver if the first authorative nameserver is down or unreachable

Robert Gomezi robertgomezi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 05:08:00 UTC 2006

Suppose for a domain example.org I have 2 authorative namservers

a) ns1.example.org
b) ns2.example.org

I have an A record for foo.example.org which returns the value 1.2.3.4

Both are on seperate networks.

In an application, I ask for the A record of foo.example.org

 However for some reason ns1.example.org is not reachable. Under these
circumstances I would expect BIND or any other proxy caching
nameserver to ask the other authorative nameserver for the answer. Is
that expectation correct or are there some cases (or some toolchains)
where if the first authorative namserver is not reachable then due to
timeout an NXDOMAIN is returned

Regards, Robert