Problem with domain on local network

mikedawg at gmail.com mikedawg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 13:56:44 UTC 2006

I'm having problems with a zone file that I'm using for my local
domain.  As I watch the log files (/var/log/messages) for bind, it
doesn't look like bind is even loading the file when named is started.
I was wondering if someone can take a quick peak at it, and let me know
what I'm doing wrong.

Does everything look okay here?

Here is what I have in my named.conf file (related the zone file in
question) :

zone "xxxx.sys" IN {
        type master;
        file "primary/xxxx.sys";
        allow-update { none; };
        allow-transfer { none; };
        allow-query { 192.168.1.0/24; };
};

Here is what the zone file looks like for that zone (located at
primary/xxxx.sys, readable and writable by the named user) :

$TTL 3D
@                       IN      SOA     ns.xxxx.sys.
hostmaster.xxxx.sys. (
                                        2006032703    ; Update serial
on every edit (incrementally)
                                        3h
                                        1h
                                        1w
                                        1h )
;
; Name servers
@               IN      A       192.168.1.9
                  IN      NS      ns.xxxx.sys.
                  IN      NS      ns.xxxx.org.    ; FQDN of my dns
server
;
; Addresses for the canonical names
;
localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
slacker2        IN      A       192.168.1.9
bad-ath64      IN      A       192.168.1.2
melement      IN      A       192.168.1.8
firewall           IN      A       192.168.1.1
slacker          IN      A       192.168.1.7
mail               IN      A       192.168.1.9
ns                 IN      A       192.168.1.9