dhcp client and dns bind question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 28 00:39:36 UTC 2006

Mike Klein wrote:

> It took me several days to get ddns working...ended up getting hammered
>
>over a missing period in name file. Only issues I have with it now are
>frequency of updates and fact that it is clobbering my primary/static
>domain file.

I think you're looking at this 180 degrees the wrong way. When you
enable Dynamic Update, named now *owns* the zone file. From the
perspective of named, it's *you* who is doing the clobbering here. Stop
doing that.

You need to learn to do all of your "manual" updates through the
"nsupdate" utility or some other Dynamic Update client. You shouldn't be
trying to edit the zone file any more, unless you're prepared to
actually stop the nameserver or freeze updates to the zone (either of
which might cause automatic Dynamic Updates to be lost) for the duration
of your edit session.