Cannot resolve name - seems like propagation is not working

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Mar 28 22:11:14 UTC 2006

> Hi all,
>
> I changed DNS records for a domain recently. It's been about five days from
> then and it seems like name information is not propagating right through the
> Internet. Or maybe i'm doing something wrong.
>
> I've checked that the registry for the domain (anestped.org) points to my nam
> server (leon.lanza-ti.com) using the whois service. If i ask my name server
> for the domain, it resolves it right:
>
> > anestped.org
> Server:         leon.lanza-ti.com
> Address:        80.25.96.213#53
>
> ------------
>     QUESTIONS:
>         anestped.org, type = A, class = IN
>     ANSWERS:
>     ->  anestped.org
>         internet address = 80.25.96.213
>     AUTHORITY RECORDS:
>     ->  anestped.org
>         nameserver = leon.lanza-ti.com.
>     ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
>     ->  leon.lanza-ti.com
>         internet address = 80.25.96.213
> ------------
> Name:   anestped.org
> Address: 80.25.96.213
>
> But it doesn't happen with others. For example:
>
> > anestped.org
> Server:         80.58.0.33
> Address:        80.58.0.33#53
>
> ------------
>     QUESTIONS:
>         anestped.org, type = A, class = IN
>     ANSWERS:
>     AUTHORITY RECORDS:
>     ->  org
>         origin = tld1.ultradns.net
>         mail addr = domadmin.ultradns.net
>         serial = 2006071401
>         refresh = 1800
>         retry = 900
>         expire = 604800
>         minimum = 86400
>     ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
> ------------
> ** server can't find anestped.org: NXDOMAIN
>
> How should i interpret this answer?
>
> My name server is resolving some other domains right, and the configuration i
> the same for this new one, so i guess that's not the problem. The only
> difference is that this new domain is a .org one, while others are .com
>
> I've talked to registrar's people and they say it should be all right, and
> that their registry is ok. How can i really check?
>
> What more should i test? How can i find out more? I would appreciate any help
> .
> Tell me if you need more about my config, etc.
>
> TIA,
>
> Alf

	Status:INACTIVE.

	Talk to your registrar.

Domain ID:D105792220-LROR
Domain Name:ANESTPED.ORG
Created On:25-Feb-2005 19:16:08 UTC
Last Updated On:23-Mar-2006 14:57:37 UTC
Expiration Date:25-Feb-2007 19:16:08 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Interdomain S.A. (R49-LROR)
Status:INACTIVE
Registrant ID:P4200-00181886
Registrant Name:Francisco Reinoso Barbero
Registrant Organization:UDI-HULP
Registrant Street1:Paseo Habna 41, 4 Dcha
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Madrid
Registrant State/Province:MADRID