One of my machines can't resolve names in telus.com

Jim Hatfield jim.hatfield at insignia.com
Wed Mar 29 17:31:52 UTC 2006

On one of my two nameservers (in different countries) I cannot
get the MX record for telus.com:

>; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> telus.com mx
>;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
>;; res_nsend: Protocol not supported

I don't know why I'm getting a "Protocol not supported" - is it
a IPv4 vs IPv6 issue? If I ask the local nameserver directly I
get:

>; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @localhost telus.com mx
>; (1 server found)
>;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
>;; res_nsend: Operation timed out

And if I find the nameservers for telus.com and ask them,
I also get a timeout. Yet any other domain I try works
fine, and telus.com works fine on my other machine.

This is a recent situation, and the only significant change
I can think of is an office move from an office supplied by
a T1 line and a Cisco router to one supplied by a DSL line
and a Netopia router, but I can't see how that's relevant :-)
--
Jim Hatfield