BIND 9 configuration Problems on HP UX

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Thu Mar 30 06:07:43 UTC 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 9:21 PM, narendar reddy wrote:

> The following things that I did on HP UX Itanium machine to build
> BIND9.3.1.
> copied bind-9.3.1.tar.gz file into /usr/local/src/ directory.
> later untarred. and in the directory /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1 I used
> following commands.
> #./configure
> # make
> # make install.
>
> With this configuration, it was running fime.
>
> But I removed all OBJECT Files in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/dns
> directory.
> Again I compiled and tried to configure using the above three
> commands.But I
> could not succeed.
>
> Later I removed bind-9.3.1 directory using rm -r bind-9.3.1 command.
> Again i
> untarred it from bind-9.3.1.tar.gz.
> Again I compiled and tried to configure using the above three
> commands.Butstill I could not succeed.

Download a new copy of the BIND-9.3.1 sources and run try again.  From
a previous communication with the poster, he said:

	But in my project work i have to modify some code
	fragments such that it improves query throughput.
	With this intention i  modified some code fragments.
	For this modified Bind9, i got some errors in compilation.
	so i removed all *.o files in /bind-9.3.1/lib/dns directory.
	after removing these object files i am getting the installtion
	problems which i listed in previous mail.

So, simply put, I don't trust that you have a pristine set of sources
for BIND, and I don't believe that anyone on this list wants to help
you troubleshoot your "improvements" to the BIND code.  Start at the
beginning again and do things over.  Download the tarball from ISC
(don't assume that your tar file is correct anymore), un-tar it into a
directory, run "configure", and then run "make".  Does this work?  Do
NOT try try and short cut any of this process!  Do not assume that you
haven't changed any of the sources.

I have been following your most recent posting and I know that my
experience with building BIND under HP-UX is quite dated, but the
README file says "Building with gcc is not supported, unless gcc is the
vendor's usual compiler".  HP provides/sells their own ANSI-C compiler
for development purposes and gcc is NOT the "usual compiler" for HP-UX.
  When I was working with HP-UX, I was unable to build BIND using gcc
and I had to use HP's ANSI-C Compiler.  Specifically, what compiler are
you using?  Maybe BIND can be built with gcc under HP-UX, but this
isn't what the README file says.

The errors that you are reporting would indicate that either you have
edited the results from the "make" command, or that something VERY
screwy is occurring on your system.

> I am getting the following errors.
>

> # make
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/make
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isc
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isc/include
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isc/include/isc
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isc/unix
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isc/unix/include
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isc/unix/include/isc
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isc/nls
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isc/pthreads
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isc/pthreads/include
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isc/pthreads/include/isc
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isccc
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isccc/include
> making all in /usr/local/src/bind-9.3.1/lib/isccc/include/isccc
>         /usr/bin/ar cruv libisccc.a alist.o base64.o cc.o ccmsg.o
> lib.o
> result.o sexpr.o symtab.o version.o
> ar: could not open base64.o
> ar: could not open lib.o
> ar: could not open result.o
> ar: could not open symtab.o
> ar: could not open version.o
> *** Error exit code 5

If all you did was delete the object files in lib/dns, then there would
be no need to recreate any ".a" library file in
lib/isccc/include/isccc.

This indicates that the "ar" command run in the lib/iscc/include/isccc
directory by "make" can't find any "base64.o", "lib.o", etc. files.
These files should have been compiled if they didn't exist, but if so
then there would be lines identifying that they were compiled.  Or
maybe they can't be read (permissions?).  Do these files exist?  Can
they be read?  Double check!

You say that you deleted all of the "*.o" files in the lib/dns
directory, but this shouldn't impact the items in the
lib/isccc/include/isccc directory.  How you describe this, it sounds
like you ran "rm lib/dns/*.o".  Why not simply run "make clean" to
remove all of the object files, libraries, executables, etc?

If you are changing the configuration, you need to run "make distclean"
before running "configure" again.  This will insure that no artifacts
from a previous compilation are still around.  I have run into problems
running "configure; make; configure; make" with different options for
the two configurations.  (This is in the "README" file.)

Again, start from the beginning and get a clean copy of the BIND
sources and start over.  There should be no problem compiling BIND
under HP-UX (assuming that you have a compiler that is supported for
building BIND).  If you have problems, please make sure that you follow
the instructions in the "README" file.   Make sure that you are
compiling the BIND sources as the same user that un-tarred the sources,
if not there may be permissions problem.  If you are changing the build
configuration, make sure that you run "make distclean" before you run
"configure" a second time.  Finally, if you do have problems, include
the output from "make" without trying to clean it up and make it
pretty.  Keep all of the lines around the reported error, they may be
very helpful in troubleshooting the problem.

Whatever you do, don't assume that people of this list are here to help
you troubleshoot any "improvements" that you have made to the BIND
sources.

Bill Larson