Website Failover

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Mar 30 22:25:44 UTC 2006

rkthomas65 at gmail.com wrote:

>I have a web application that I would like to have ISP failover.  What
>is the best way to have the application resolve to the 2nd public IP
>address should the first one fail?

In the future, browsers should support SRV records, which would provide
this functionality.

For now, there is no good way to do this with DNS alone. You could
reduce the cache persistence down to anti-social levels (e.g. 1 minute)
and then manually change the address as necessary, but that's definitely
a suboptimal way to do things.