recursion and forward zones

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 31 01:30:29 UTC 2006

Jack Tavares wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am trying to setup a forwarding zone. (bind9.2.3, linux)
>By default I have "recursion no;" set in the global
>options.
>
>i set up the forwarding zone, but the only
>way I can get it to work is to turn recursion on.
>Or more accurately, comment out the
>recursion no;
>
>statement, which runs the default behaviour of allowing
>recursion.
>
>It would seem to me that recursion and forwarding are
>different features and that disabling one should
>not disable the other.

What do you think "recursion" means, in that context? It means your BIND
instance is able and willing to go out and fetch DNS information from
other nameservers, in order to satisfy client requests. The fact that
you're trying to set up a forwarding zone, implies that you want to
enable resolution of names in that part of the namespace hierarchy, at
least for some select group of clients that ask for it. This is directly
contradictory to "recursion no", which basically means "I'm only going
to answer from my own authoritative data and not ask anyone else for the
answers to your questions".

You should probably set up that forwarding zone under a separate view,
one which has recursive service enabled.