Refused Notify from Non-master and SOA.MNAME

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 31 03:40:21 UTC 2006

On 30 Mar 2006, at 19:18 , Mark Andrews wrote:

> 	The IP address the notify message came from is not in
> 	the masters clause.  Usually these will be other slaves
> 	sending notifies.  If the other slaves are not masters
> 	for other slaves you can tell them not to send notifies.

Mark:

Thanks for your quick response.  I've recently switched from BIND 8
running on a BSD/OS system to to BIND 9 running on a SuSE Linux
system.   The "sent NOTIFY" message generated by BIND 8 doesn't
appear to be generated in BIND 9.  I ran across the "refused notify"
message while looking for "sent NOTIFY" to verify that the primary
master name server was sending out the notification when a zone was
reloaded.  Apparently, BIND 9 does send the "notify" but does not
record the event or I need to make changes to the logging statements. :(

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net