having problems with the reverse zone for a domain

Netfortius netfortius at gmail.com
Tue May 9 19:53:09 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 11:16, enediel gonzalez wrote:
> 70.55.254.2

I have not followed this from the beginning, and I may also be totally off on
this, but coincidentally I had a similar problem, just this morning, when my
ISP seems to have blown out (perhaps this was not his fault?!?) my entire
class "C" mapping, from in-addr.arpa. The in-addr.arpa are not usually under
the control of the "end user/consumer", as the in-addr.arpa relates on IPs
being assigned to ISPs, so - even if you do create pointers when you create
your DNS zones - those will not be known if the higher ups do not relate this
info. In your case, I would call Bell Canada, as it looks like the reverse
lookup stops way higher than your IP range (see 55.70.in-addr.arpa below):

pwrbk:~ scm$ dig -x 70.55.254.2

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> -x 70.55.254.2
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;2.254.55.70.in-addr.arpa.      IN      PTR

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
55.70.in-addr.arpa.     86400   IN      SOA     toroon63nszp05.srvr.bell.ca.
dnsadmin.bellglobal.com. 342 21600 3600 604800 86400

;; Query time: 657 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Tue May  9 14:46:09 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 128

If my statements above are totally off, please discard them, and sorry for the
confusion.

Stefan