DNS record

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 11 22:44:24 UTC 2006

Tester wrote:

>Hi there,
>I am hosting DNS domaina.com and I will have an email server
>email.domainb.com from my parent company that hosts DNS domainb.
>Where DNS records (address, pointer and MX) will need to be added, in both
>primary zone domainb and secondary zone domaina? My secondary zone is static
>and I update it manually.

The owner of domainb.com should already have an A record there, and the
owner of the relevant address space (which may or may not be the same
owner) should have a PTR record for it, either directly or (if the
assigned range is smaller than a /24) possibly through the RFC 2317
aliasing Best Current Practice.

That leaves, presumably, only the MX record(s) under your control. You
can point that anywhere you want, although it's advisable to only point
it to names if you have permission to do so by the name's domain's owner.