DNS and MX

ctclibby hogger at soundrail.com
Fri May 12 12:27:12 UTC 2006

Thanks for the reply Kevin

So what you are saying is that there are no rfc's to mandate an A
record that points to domain.tld?  I suppose that this is splitting
hairs, but in my case it makes a big difference to the amount of
traffic I see bashing the mail server.  I am a tiny site and host just
under 100 domains.  Since all are behind one IP, when domain.tld has a
A record, I then get ( almost immediately ) smtp hits on domains that
don't accept eMail and do NOT have a valid MX record.

I suspect that the folks that host 1000's ( or more ) are laughing at
me as I am so small.  Well, have questions for them also:  Are you sure
that your filtering system does indeed drop *all* of the bogus stuff?
Is it in your customers best interest to find out?

I also use graylisting which made 75% of the spam go away immediately
but I still see the traffic thru the routers and it still creates
process children on the mail server which eat clock cycles and memory.

thanks!

todh