DNS Confusion

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 17 04:06:47 UTC 2006

In article <e4dlr5$h2b$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "mswlogo" <geomills at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I currently have a Hosting company X (Web and Email) and a DNS
> Registration Company Y. For reference it's HostExcellence.com and
> NetworkSolutions.com respectively.
>
> The Regsistration Company sets the registration to Company X's DNS
> servers and all is fine and dandy.
>
> Now I want more control, want to learn and may migrate some hosting
> deeds to my own servers.
>
> So I change Registration Company Y DNS to point to Registration Company
> Y's DNS Servers and start Editing the MX, A and CNAME records to point
> to continue pointing at the same servers at Hosting Company X.
>
> How is the DNS Server at the Hosting Company X know to remove/ignore
> it's DNS Records for my domain. For example if I wish to point Email to

If you no longer require X's DNS services, call them and tell them to
remove the zone from their servers.

> my own server and some user at Hosting Company X tries to send me
> email, won't it use the Hosting Company X DNS server and route to the
> old Email server?

It depends.  If they have separate recursing and authoritative servers,
the recursing servers should follow the delegation from the root
servers, and won't go to their authoritative servers if your domain
isn't delegated to them.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA