Using Dynamic DNS for a Co-Location

connah at gmail.com connah at gmail.com
Fri May 19 13:27:47 UTC 2006

Hi all!

My organization needs to establish a co-location in the event that our
primary office loses power. The "co-location" will consist only of a
computer running vital websites. I would like to understand how we can
use DNS to accomplish this. The goal is that if website ABC.COM
(1.1.1.1) goes down, we want some process in the co-location monitoring
that. When it detects an outage, our DNS records need to be modified to
point ABC.COM to 2.2.2.2 with as short of propagation time as possible
(hopefully minutes, if not seconds).

Can this be done? If so, how? Also, if you see that this is a
ridiculous idea and have a better one, please suggest it! I don't much
care HOW it gets accomplished. I just want the ultimate functionality
of another box picking up for us.

Thank you!

Matthew