Delegation doesn't seem to be working

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 23 21:03:16 UTC 2006

In article <e4vsi7$1cpk$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Curt Shaffer" <cshaffer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to delegate a sub domain abc.domain.com so the admin at
> that site can have responsibility. I would also like the domain.com NS
> server to be a slave for the sub domain abc.domain.com and the sub
> domain NS server be a slave for the root domain.
>
> Here are my configs:
>
> domain.com
> ################
> master/domain.com
> ################
> $TTL 86400
> domain.com.                IN      SOA     NS1.domain.com.
> root.domain.com. (
>                                                 2006052302      ;
> Serial
>                                                 10800           ;
> Refresh
>                                                 3600            ; Retry
>                                                 1209600         ;
> Expire
>                                                 86400 )         ;
> Minimum TTL
>

> ;DNS Servers
>                           IN      NS      NS1.domain.com.
>                           IN      NS      NS2.domain.com.
> abc                     IN      NS      NS3.abc.domain.com.
> abc                     IN      NS      NS1.domain.com.

You need A records for both NS1.domain.com and NS3.abc.domain.com (the
latter is a "glue record", which is necessary because the subdomain
server is in the subdomain).

> #################
> named.conf on domain.com
> ##################
> zone "domain.com"{
>         type master;
>         file "master/domain.com";
>         allow-transfer {IP of sub NS server;};
>         };
> zone "abc.domain.com"{
>         type slave;
>         file "slave/slave.abc.domain.com";
>         masters {IP of sub NS server;};
>         };
>

> #######################
> master/abc.domain.com on abc.domain.com
> #######################
> $TTL 86400
> abc.domain.com.     IN SOA  NS3.abc.domain.com. root.abc.domain.com. (
>                                 2006052301 ; serial
>                                 10800          ; refresh
>                                 3600            ; retry
>                                 1209600       ; expire
>                                 86400          ; minimum
>                                 )
>                         NS      NS3.abc.domain.com.
>                         NS      NS1.domain.com.

You need an A record for NS3.abc.domain.com.

> ########################
> named.conf on abc.domain.com
> ########################
> zone "abc.domain.com"{
>         type master;
>         file "master/abc.domain.com";
>         allow-transfer {IP of root NS server;};
>         };
> zone "domain.com"{
>         type slave;
>         file "slave/slave.domain.com";
>         masters {IP of root NS server;};
>         };
>
> When I do an nslookup for a www record in the abc.domain.com domain I
> get the following error:
>
> ** server can't find www.abc.domain.com: NXDOMAIN

There's no A record for www in master/abc.domain.com above.

> After I reload the domain on domain.com I get the following in my
> /var/log/messages:
>
>  client IP.OF.ROOT.NS#53884: received notify for zone 'abc.domain.com':
> not authoritative

Sounds like ns1 was not able to transfer the zone successfully.  There
should be messages about the failed zone transfer in the log.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA