Bind 9.3.2 can't resolve one domain

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed May 24 23:57:04 UTC 2006

> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 10:31:08PM +0200,
> >  Jarek <jarek at fake.address.from.pl> wrote
> >  a message of 14 lines which said:
> >
> >> PROBLEM: I can't resolve domain www.aukcje24.pl
> >
> > aukcje24.pl has only two name servers (bad) and they seem located in
> > the same place, with the same software (bad, bad).
> >
> > They reply fine without EDNS0 but have an erratic behavior when
> > queried with EDNS0 (most of the time, they timeout, sometimes, they
> > FORMERR).
> >
> > This may provide a clue.
>
> Hello!
>
> I'm also interested in that problem, because I think there are
> another domains behaving like this.
>
> I also think it's mainly problem with timeouts, but I can't find
> why bind 9.2.3 doesn't care, and why there is no apparent option
> to change 9.3 behavior?
>
> It seems timeout is mainly reached in recursive lookups because
> there is no error when asking direct nameservers eg.:
>
> dig www.aukcje24.pl @ns1.qxlricardo.com
> or
> dig ns1.qxlricardo.com @ns1.markmonitor.com
>
> Maybe some more clues?
>
> Jarek P.

	Named will fall back to plain DNS if it gets no response
	to the EDNS query.

	In reality the remote nameserver is broken as it is not
	always returning a error code when it recieves a request.
	FORMERR is part of the base DNS specification and
	nameservers should be able to count on it being returned.

	EDNS has also been on standards track for ~7 years now.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org