How to establish a local network domain name

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 31 03:51:13 UTC 2006

In article <e5hphm$1tl2$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "Randy" <yates at ieee.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Advance note: this is my first time posting to this group, so please
> forgive and educate me on any netiquette errors. I also don't know
> where the FAQ is. I'm also very green when it comes to BIND and
> the entire DNS system. Please bear with me.
>
> I'm using a Fedora Core 4 system on my company's private network. I'm
> probably the only linux system on the network - everyone else is
> MSWindoze.  Is it possible for me to establish a domain name for my
> computer that will be recognized by any computer inside our company's
> private network?

You probably just need them to add a DNS entry for your system to their
Domain Controller.  There's no need for you to run BIND on your machine,
since nothing on the network will use it as a server -- they're pointing
to the domain controllers for their hostname lookups.

> Also, if can piggy-back a bit (and this also may be related), how
> does it happen that my computer's IP address in the local network
> is 192.168.1.100, while whatsmyip.com reports 64.242.84.254?

When you go out to the Internet, you're going through your company's
firewall, which translates from the primary addresses to a public
address.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA