Stub on main DNS, view on target

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 3 02:10:53 UTC 2006

In article <eidba3$q5k$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "carcarx at hotmail.com" <carcarx at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Realizing the complications that using "view"s within our main DNS
> servers might
> cause in the future I configured a subsidiary nameserver (call it's IP
> address "x") to provide the
> views for the zone av.uni.edu
>
> On the main DNS server I declared av.uni.edu as a stub with IP address
> x as the master.
>
> Unfortunately it seems that I got identical results from the different
> places I queried.
>
> Has anyone tried this and gotten it to work? (I'm really stretching the
> paradigm, here!)
>
> Thanks!

Is the main DNS server also a caching server for your network?  If so,
then when someone outside your network queries it (let's say for
www.av.uni.edu), and the answer is already cached because someone inside
the network made the same query, the main server will answer the query
rather than providing a referral to x.  Since it cached the answer from
an internal view, that's what you'll get when you query it from outside.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA