Solaris 8 named is ignorant

DrSpock DRyanHawley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 23:01:19 UTC 2006

Hi.  I have a sun box running Solaris 8 (SunOS kernel 5.8) and I have
brought it up inside my
firewall.  It is seen by (they can telnet to it) other computers on my
private subnet, and they can
ping it.  I did this by

creating an /etc/hosts file with all known boxes on the subnet by IP
address and name.

editing /etc/netmasks so that this subnet's netmask matches the other
boxes and
the router's (LINKSYS) netmask.

editing the /etc/hostname.dmfe0  file and putting the hosts name in it.

so far so good...

In the /etc/resolv.conf file I have:

domain myISP.net                         /* actually the domainname of
my ISP */
nameserver 6N.8N.7N.NN
nameserver 6N.8N.7N.NN

Where "N" is the correct number that matches my ISP DNS servers.  These
2 DNS servers
work for all the other boxes on the subnet.

Then I went into /etc/rc2.d and ran # S72inetsvc start, which starts
in.named

Sendmail complains that it is "unable to qualify my own domainname"
and all the TCP services tell me the following:
 Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: dtspc/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: printer/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: fs/tcp: bind: Address already in use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: chargen/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: daytime/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: discard/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: echo/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: time/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: finger/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: uucp/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: exec/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek last message repeated 1 time
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: login/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: shell/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek last message repeated 1 time

>From a default multiuser boot in.named wasn't running.... After booting
and logging in across
the net, should I be changing the runstate to some higher level?  I
have decades of UNIX
experience but have been "off the horse" for an extended period...

But the main question is what do I need to do to be able to resolve DNS
lookups?

A little more background info...  My LINKSYS is setup in such a way to
use the IP's of
the DNS servers directly (not doing the DNS itself).  The other boxes
on the subnet use
the real IP's of my ISP's DNS servers directly and have no trouble with
getting to the DNS
servers through the router.

Any help would be appreciated.  I intend to upgrade the Sun box soon to
Solaris 9 and then
Solaris 10 and then OpenSolaris to get my UNIX skills back, but would
like to get DNS lookups working first.

One last question.  I am familiar with X11 Windows (in fact SunView,
and OpenWindows,
and CDE as well).  But at this point am unclear how to do the
equivalent of "# xterm -display host"
where host is a box acting as the Window "Server" (the machine on which
windows from
the sun are displayed).  A little background on what Windowing system
is being used
now, so I can RTFM  I don't even know what to search for to get
programs such as
Netscape or Mozilla to display from the sun box to a Windows XP windows
"Server" under
Solaris 8.

My sun box has no keyboard, graphics card, or local monitor so I need
to get this working
so I can bring up Apache and download Solaris releases etc from a
Browser.

Thanks, DRyan