Can't create & delegate subdomains on internal view

Thomas Johnson tom at blissfulidiot.com
Tue Nov 14 14:13:26 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have been trying to track down a problem I've been having while trying
to delegate authority for a subdomain to another server. I created the
appropriate NS record and glue record for the machine hosting the
subdomain (incremented the serial too). However, when I try to query the
parent server for the NS of the subdomain I get a SERVFAIL or NXDOMAIN
response from dig. I tracked this down for two hours, wondering if I had
gone crazy. Out of frustration I then created the subdomain in my public
zone and it works perfectly. I am using a view statement to maintain
seperate internal and external zone information. Here are the relevant
pieces of my configuration files.