"Stealing" an outside domain within a LAN

Paul Vixie Paul_Vixie at isc.org
Thu Nov 23 02:48:11 UTC 2006

Wes Groleau <groleau+news at freeshell.org> writes:

> Please excuse my newbie-ness.  I know how to make another zone file,
> but how do I pretend to be authoritative?

it'll answer authoritatively if it loads the data from a zone file (master
or slave).  it will not check to see if the zone has been delegated to it,
nor whether it is one of the NS RRs in the apex of the zone it loads up.

but note that clients who receive nonauthoritative answers from you will not
care, so, if you weren't answering authoritatively, it would not matter.

> I'm not worried about confusing the outside world,
> as my firewall won't allow DNS queries to get in.

on behalf of the internet, thank you.
--
Paul Vixie