How to reduce the number of IP address returned when resolving a big round robin DNS entry

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Nov 30 23:13:36 UTC 2006

> hi,
> in fact i have to reduce it to 26 responses to have no truncated message
>
> i've got strange behaviour of a particuliar DNS resolver on wifi mobile
> the resolver wait for the other reponses (when message truncated)
> and do nothing until it receives another packet containing the rest of the
> other responses...!
> it doesn't swith over to TCP ... !

	So it needs the full UDP packet.  Nothing strange there.  Most
	IP stacks don't pass fragments to the application layer.

> i saw that DJBDNS send 8 reponses from a random sets of hosts... a small and
> good LB  function like i want
>
> i've to upgrade to BIND 9.3
> my bind version is 9.2 and BIND 9.2 do not not supporting EDNS

	All versions of BIND 9 support EDNS.

> i'll have to modify the inspection engine on Cisco FWSM card to allow paquet
> up to 1500 byte

	EDNS responses can be up to 4096 bytes, with BIND 9, which may be
	in multiple fragments.  You need to ensure your firewall will
	either reassemble the packet before resending and/or that it will
	pass IP fragments.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org