How to organize the back-up.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Oct 3 00:51:03 UTC 2006

In article <efrte9$llo$1 at sf1.isc.org>, AM <am at am.am> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> just a tip on how to configure the slave servers.
> The scenario is the following:
>
> company A and company B
>
> each company has got its own domain names and has one master server and the
> respective slave.
> Now the boss asked me to make the backup of all the domain names belonging to
> the company A on the company B servers and
> vice versa.
>
> So, the company B master will be the slave of company A zones and vice versa.
> What would you suggest for the slave servers? I mean, should the company B
> slave take the company A zones from the
> company B master or directly from the company A master?
>
> I'm sorry for these newbie questions but I'd like to know if there are any
> advantages on having each slave to take all
> the information from its "first" master instead of getting them directly from
> the master that is deputed to manage the
> zones. I could think of that scenario if the bandwidth between the two
> company is very low.
> I will appreciate any of your explanations on this topic.

Having the slaves pull from the local master adds some propagation
delay, because it's a two-step process: B-master pulls from A-master,
then B-slave pulls from B-master.  However, if notify is used, we're
only talking about a few extra seconds, so it's probably not a big deal.

Other than the bandwidth issue you mention, I can't think of any other
significant differences between the two schemes.  So do what's easier
for you administratively.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA