Turned recursion off and now lookups not working

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Oct 11 00:12:14 UTC 2006

wisptech at gmail.com wrote:
> I turned off recursive lookups in my bind server as recommended but now
> it will not resolve any domains (ie google.com) for clients.  Any help
> appreciated.  Below is my named.conf...
>
> options {
>         directory "/var/named";
>         dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
>         statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
>         recursion no;
> };
>
> controls {
>         inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
> };
>
> zone "." IN {
>         type hint;
>         file "named.ca";
> };
>
> zone "localhost" IN {
>         type master;
>         file "localhost.zone";
>         allow-update { none; };
> };
>
> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>         type master;
>         file "named.local";
>         allow-update { none; };
> };
>
> zone
> "0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa"
> IN {
>         type master;
>         file "named.ip6.local";
>         allow-update { none; };
> };
>
> zone "255.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>         type master;
>         file "named.broadcast";
>         allow-update { none; };
> };
>
> zone "0.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>         type master;
>         file "named.zero";
>         allow-update { none; };
> };
>
> include "/etc/rndc.key";
>

> << Zone definitions after this point >>

It's only the *external* clients you don't want to recurse for. You still may need to recurse for your *internal* clients, unless they don't require resolvability of Internet names (e.g. if everything is behind application-level proxies), or, alternatively, you intend to host the whole Internet DNS namespace on your computer (biiiiiig box).

instances on the same box, separate "view"s within the same instance, or
control queries and/or recursion via allow-query and/or allow-recursion.
Note that BIND 9.4.0 just came out with an "allow-query-cache" option,
which makes allow-recursion a little more palatable -- previously, since
answers from the cache do not require recursion, this data was available
to external clients regardless of the allow-recursion settings, which
was arguably  "information leakage" that might not make one's security
administrators/auditors very happy.

There was recently a thread here on a very similar topic. See the posts
with the subject line "recursion question" at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&w=2&r=1&s=recursion+question&q=b