question about caching of lame servers

Thu Oct 12 13:46:48 UTC 2006

Hi!

I tried to test the caching of lame servers in bind9 (9.2.4-1sarge1),
and reviewing the source code, I came to the conclusion that this
feature is only used as long as there is at least on authoritative name
server which is not in the lame-cache. As soon as all authoritative name
servers of a certain domain are in the "lame" state, bind "restarts" the
lame settings and tries again although all servers are marked as lame.

Is my conclusion correct?

If yes, is there an option to change this behavior (if all servers are
marked as lame bind should not try at all)?

Further, I not only want to cache lame name servers, but also name
servers which are down. Is this possible?

thanks
klaus