Need pointed in the right direction intranet DNS's

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Thu Oct 12 17:52:54 UTC 2006

On Oct 12, 2006, at 9:15 AM, baltoinfo wrote:

> I've been banging my head with this one.
> My setup.
>
> Lab1 1 DNS Server bind9.3.1/linux witha zone xxx.com on a
> 192.168.99.0/24 network
> Lab2 1 DNS Server bind9.3.1/linux witha zone xxx.com on a
> 192.168.1.0/24 network
>
> Corp. DNS on 192.168.77.0/24 network which has the complete company
> DNS
> names.
>
> Both Lab1 and Lab2 DNS work fine with what ip/names I've added,
> however
> I can't get the two Labs to query nor send a query to the main corp
> dns.

Take a look into the forwarding options in the BIND configuration.
You need to look at the "forward" option to tell the server to
forward queries onto another server and the "forwarders" option to
tell your server which servers to send the queries onto.

For information about this, look at the BIND Administrator's
Reference Manual (ARM).  This comes with the BIND sources or can be
found at http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/.  Be sure that the
version of the ARM matches the version of BIND that you are running.
The "DNS and BIND" book by Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu also talks
about forwarding.  Both are indispensable resources for anyone
managing a DNS service.

This topic is also a common issue discussed on this list.  You might
want to look at the archives for previous postings about this same
topic.  Search for "forwarding".

Bill Larson