Is it possible to specify a fallback NS?

linuxnewbie1234 linuxnewbie1234 at nowhere.com
Sat Oct 21 21:40:14 UTC 2006

Suppose I have a company ONE for which I am serving the domain .one.com
I know the A addresses of a computer like www.one.com
however my company recently splitted and now there is an independent
branch, which is two.one.com  .

At TWO-ONE They have their computers (e.g. three.two.one.com), and their
NS which is ns.two.one.com . All the IP addresses can change without
them informing me. In addition they can split further and make a
THREE-ONE branch with the domain three.one.com . TWO-ONE will be
informed of the split but not me.

Since I have the top level NS ns.one.com BUT I don't have control on
what the other people do, is there a way to configure my zone file so
that for everything of the form X.one.com it first goes looking in my
zone file and then if this finds nothing, either
-goes asking recursively to ns.two.one.com OR
-tells the client to refer to ns.two.one.com
?

Note that I cannot simply put an NS entry specifying X.two.one.com NS
ns.two.one.com because if they split again forming "three" I wouldn't
catch that one. I really want a fallback on ns.two.one.com if the
computer is not found in my zone. Is that possible?

TIA