mail record problem

Steve Ingraham singraham at okcca.net
Thu Oct 26 21:49:36 UTC 2006

Ok, I have a problem with my mail record for our domain.  Forgive me if
I leave out any details necessary to understand the situation but I will
try to explain what is happening.  We have a domain (okcca.net) that has
an external DNS running BIND 9.2.4 on a RedHat AS 3 operating system.
In August I had some configuration problems that caused some major email
delivery problems.  I was able to iron most of the problems out and so
far our DNS has been working and email has been delivered.  However I do
have one problem I have not been able to resolve.  Our email is
delivered to the same RedHat machine mentioned above that is running
qmail.  The qmail receives all incoming mail on the email gateway and
delivers it to an internal email server running Microsoft Exchange 2000
server named MXI.  The majority of users have mailboxes on this machine.
We also have a Microsoft Exchange 2003 server named MXI2 with a handful
of mailboxes on this machine including my personal mailbox.  The email
client used on all the user machines is Outlook.

We also have the capability to access email via the web using Outlook
Web Access (OWA) and I have a Trio 650 smart phone that (had) the
capability to access via popmail my email.  My 650 has not been able to
login to the mail server since July.  I have tried repeatedly to
reconfigure the settings but nothing has worked.  I thought it was being
directed to mail at okcca.net originally but that no longer works.  Our
users used to also be able to login to mail.occa.state.ok.us on a web
browser and get to their email from the web.  That no longer works
however if I direct them to use mxi.occa.state.ok.us they are able to
get to their email account through OWA.  Mxi and mxi2 reside inside a
firewall internally with different IP addresses from the email gateway.

What has happened to the original configuration that was working prior
to my August changes (I can define what those were if needed)?  What can
I do to get things back so the smart phone and the web access is
directed back to our email server?

Thanks for your help, let me know if I need to provide more information.

Steve Ingraham

Director of Information Services

Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals

singraham at okcca.net