List aliases?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Oct 27 23:06:51 UTC 2006

Bob wrote:
> Is it possible to list all aliases by which a DNS server knows a given IP
> address?
> I don't find anything in nslookup that gives me this information.

Nope. How would a given nameserver even know if some other, unrelated
nameserver on the other side of the world had a record in one of its
zones pointing to any given name or IP address? The decentralized
administrative model of DNS does not lend itself very well to any kind
of "backreferencing" capability. At one time there was such a thing as
an "inverse query", but even that was only limited to the zones that a
particular nameserver knew about. It was abused so badly as a poor
substitute for proper reverse-DNS (address-to-name) resolution, that it
was eventually deprecated, and isn't even supported by modern versions
of BIND any more.