MX Record Configuration

jerryyang_la1 at yahoo.com jerryyang_la1 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 15:13:12 UTC 2006

Hi.

I currently have my MX records set as:

mail.domain.com.     5
mail2.domain.com.   10
mx0.123-reg.co.uk.   15
mx1.123-reg.co.uk.   20

This seems to work well, delivering email to my server (mail) and using
my ISP (mail2) as a backup.  My ISP only spools the email, it doesn't
host it as such.

I'm thinking of changing this, and would like to know if there is any
issue using "post.domain.com."  instead of using "mail.domain.com." Is
there any issue using POST in an MX Record..

I have a few issues with hosting my own email server, if my server or
dsl goes down it takes a while for my ISP to spool it to me once my
server is back.

My ISP can host my email, to do this they would need to become MAIL. If
I do this, I could become POST. My aim would be for Post to have a
priority of 5 and Mail10.

This way if my server goes down, my isp will get the email, but not as
a backup server as an actual host. I can set my server to then check
for any email using normal POP3.

Would this work OK, having 2 different hosts. ??

Many Thanks